Category Archives: Community

Community June 3, 2018

Patriotism, the Flag and the NFL

What’s the Stink About?

By Eric Marturano and Josh Hammond

Alert: this is a long one, half a beer’s worth. It’s about another made-in-America problem. Other countries don’t have this issue. Patriotism and sports are not confused. Each has its own domain. America is the exception.

First the context.

There are at least three definitions of patriotism. Actually, three definitions of nationalism: the two terms are often confused—on purpose it seems. During World War II patriotism got its wings, but they have been clipped lately. During the war, soldiers in Japan were asked why they were fighting? The answer was instantaneous: “The Emperor.” The German soldiers emphatically said: “The Fatherland.” The Americans said: “ah…ah…my friends in the foxhole, ah…the Four Freedoms.” It turns out that Japanese and German soldiers were indoctrinated in patriotism/nationalism as part of their training. American soldiers got a lecture on the FDR’s “Four Freedoms” and not much more. In President Roosevelt’s words, America was fighting for the higher ideal, something beyond patriotism or nationalism—”the supremacy of human rights everywhere.”

To most of us patriotism is a complex intersection of culture and politics. Of white over black. Of red, white and blue over a green commercial private field where profit is the motive and whatever enhances profit is by definition “patriotic”.

First some comments about the National Anthem and the American Flag. Then some comments about the silliness of this whole NFL kerfuffle, a word easily mispronounced in a bar or locker room.

Don’t tell our Tweeter-in-Chief, but the melody Francis Scott Key assigned to the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner” was a popular English drinking song called “To Anacreon in Heaven.” It was written around 1775 by John Stafford Smith. According to the Smithsonian, “the song honored the ancient Greek poet Anacreon, a lover of wine. It was originally performed at a London gentleman’s music club called the Anacreontic Society.”

Most of us know the words to the first stanza. Bill Clinton is one of the few who knows all the words to the entire song, all four stanzas. Sung, not exhaled. Those who have studied these stanzas see the hidden racist history of the National Anthem, buried down toward the end.

Second, calling the wrong plays.

This public stew is not just about the anthem, but also about the flag, a flag that has undergone more changes than new-born quintuplets on their first day in the crib. The American flag is a work in progress flown as a symbol of a country as a work in progress.

The 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights states the following:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Exercising a right provided by the United States Constitution is patriotic.

In 2016, Colin Kapernick decided to kneel during the playing of the national anthem in order to make a point that he was “not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” To Kapernick, in his words, “this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people…getting away with murder.”

Exercising a right provided by the Constitution in order to draw attention to a problem plaguing America is very patriotic.

Kapernick’s team at the time, the San Francisco 49ers, issued a statement of support, saying: “The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.”

“Respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression” and “recognizing the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not”—sounds patriotic to me!

That was then—August 2016.

In May 2018, the definition of patriotism seems to have changed—can’t imagine why—and, accordingly, those who choose to display patriotism, whatever it is, appear to have changed their attitude towards it.

After two full NFL seasons of protests, public reactions, presidential tweets, vice-presidential stunts and walk-outs, the league issued a rule change.

The new rule is: “This season, all league and team personnel shall stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem. Personnel who choose not to stand for the anthem may stay in the locker room until after the anthem has been performed.” ICE personnel will be inspecting papers; doctors will be certifying any claims of diarrhea; tech volunteers from the vigilantes will be combing social media posts for past indiscretions.

To avoid confusion (more), there are six points the owners wanted to make. Feels like a misdirection, but nonetheless:

1. All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
  2. The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the anthem.
  3. Personnel who choose not to stand for the anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the anthem has been performed.
  4. A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
  5. Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem
  6. The commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.

Got all that?!

At least one observer that lives in the White House didn’t: he wasn’t happy and added a new twist—questioning if those players who refuse to kneel should even be in the country. Luckily the First Amendment is a lot harder to change than a few NFL rules.

Placing itemized restrictions on expression of ideas seems to be a new definition of patriotism and a questionable restriction on free speech. In other words: unconstitutional.

Jed York, owner of the San Francisco 49ers—Kapernick’s former team—was a notable abstainer from the owners’ vote on this restrictive rule. In reference to the fines levied against those violating the rule, York commented, “I don’t think we should be profiting if we’re going to put this type of attention and focus on the field and on the flag.”

Well at least not profiting from the American flag seems to be a new definition of patriotism. That sounds pretty good I guess…right?

Curiously, in this newly defined patriotism, you can buy the “San Francisco 49ers WinCraft 3′ x 5′ Americana Stars & Stripes Deluxe Flag” for $39.99.

Eric and his pals on their sports podcast don’t discuss this issue because “it’s the most tiringly stupid conversation.” He wrote most of this post and concludes by saying: “Forget about discussing problems in our country, my fellow patriots.”

“And forget about expressing ideas freely and openly.”

“In fact, just shut up entirely—we have flags to sell!”

Editor’s Note: Does this post violate our commitment to being a Trump-free Zone? No. The zone only applies to his tweets. He has made this as public statement at a political rally in Alabama and he has repeated it multiple times since. He’s not finished calling racial plays.

It’s fourth and inches.

June 5, 2018 Fox News, the White House Television Network “confuses” Eagle players praying before a game with charges that they were kneeling in disrespect of the flag: kneeling is a tricky word.

Our Greek Chorus
Opinions of The Vigilant
The Greek chorus was an integral part of ancient Greek theatre, a group of three or four performers who looked alike and spoke all at the same time. Their part was to comment on what was being said and help the audience know what the characters in the play were thinking. The chorus usually sang, or spoke. We honor that tradition here
"Freedom…"
Richie Havens at Woodstock

Freedom
Freedom
Freedom
Freedom
Freedom
Freedom
Freedom
Freedom
Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

Zuckerberg Puts on Angel Face

by Josh Hammond

He’s a trickster, a conman, out to fool you and win at all costs, sparing no deception.

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
The easiest way for you to stay on top of what’s happening at Free American News is subscribe to our weekly update. Out every Friday morning, bright and early, it lists the latest post and has some exclusive extras. Please use the pop-up subscription form or click on the subscribe to newsletter box on the lower right-hand column.
Go to the Newsletter Subscription page
Community May 5, 2018

Whose Fault is the Drug Abuse Problem?

Drug Abuse Part 1 of 3: First of Five Fixes

We’ve rounded up the usual suspects and added a couple of surprises. Each item on this list has at some point over the past 100 years been blamed for the drug abuse problems in America—some get more blame than others, but each has had its turn and many persist to this day.

Starting with the illustration above: both images show poppies, both can get you high, but only one depicts a plant that produces opium that in turn produces legal and illegal stuff you can get hooked on. The farmer’s son in Afghanistan is just helping out with the family business and Monet was among the first painters to move from realism to impressionism—precisely one of the lures of illegal drug use. Keep in mind that one of the primary reasons folks start using drugs is to alter the way they see the world. The impressionists just left a bigger handprint.

The blame list includes Frank Sinatra in “The Man With the Golden Arm,” a cop-on-the-take in Chicago, the Mexican border, a doctor in the White House (not who you think), the natural growing-up curiosity of a child, parents who drink in front of their kids, songs about drugs, the Super Narc Harry Anslinger, the 18th and 21st Amendments to the Constitution, movies that glorify drug use, the Beatles “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” LSD of course, the Food & Drug Administration, jazz, big pharma, little pharma, the internet, the use of sacraments, from peyote to wine, in all kinds of religions.

In this day and age, this century, the current Top Cop in the country is once again going after pot users and wants them in jail at a time when nine states have made marijuana legal and 13 others have decriminalized it. It’s all a morality high horse ride for him, user be dammed. History be dammed.

On the medical/chemical side of the blame game, dopamine, a natural chemical that sends a pleasure signal to the limbic system in the brain belongs on the list. Of course, at the heart of this matter is the idea of pleasure: many object to pleasure seeking behaviors of others, even though we are all guaranteed “the pursuit of happiness.”

I’m sure I have left something out. Nothing on the list was invented for the list: each one has had a share of the blame for decades.

The biggest problem with this list is when anyone focuses on just one or two of these of items, we miss the big picture and avoid the complexity of the problems associated with drug use.

I (Josh Hammond) was on the frontlines of the first national drug abuse crisis in the US in the late 60s to the early 80s. It was all pre-internet, so all the reports today on drug abuse in the papers and magazines skip the 1960s-2000 period. No one reads David Musto’s definitive 100 Years of Heroin or his classic book that informed the first wave of drug abuse prevention thinking, The American Disease, published in 1973—not a typo.

Back then the same problems we have today were defined completely differently. Drug abuse (use of illegal drugs and misuse of legal drugs) was seen by many in policy and program positions as why people use drugs instead of what drug was being used.

But this is not a problem that can be defined away.

Like the discussion of any controversial social issue, it is best to have some of the facts before you weigh in. Personal experience is not a fact: that’s where a lot of the points go up in smoke. In addition to the facts, it is essential to have a clear statement of values associated with the behavior one is condoning or disapproving.

What is so interesting about drugs—thereby confounding the dialogue—the same amount of a drug produces a different effect depending on:

1. who is involved—a doctor and patient, a parent and a child, a friend and a friend.
  2. where it is taken—a clinic, family garage, the back alley, neighbor’s basement.
  3. why it is being taken—to get over a cold, to just try it, to feel good, to get over the blues.

Yet, none of these variables are part of the discussion: you either are taking something or you are not.

Here is a starting point for understanding some of the drugs and who is taking them. Keep in mind, these numbers are fairly constant. Experimentation and use rates to not fluctuate like the stock market or the weather forecast.

The Washington Post has an interesting drug abuse test with some tricky questions unless you have the inside scoop about drugs. They have a useful map of which states are using what drugs. Not sure being sober will get you a higher score, but reading the multiple-choice answers will be funnier.

The rest of the series:

1. Why did the “Just Say No” Campaign Fail? No follow through.
  2. Why does incarceration not work? Follow the money.
  3. What hasn’t been tried to prevent drug abuse? A lot of logical things.
  4. Where has all the old and new money gone? Same places.
Our Greek Chorus
Opinions of The Vigilant
The Greek chorus was an integral part of ancient Greek theatre, a group of three or four performers who looked alike and spoke all at the same time. Their part was to comment on what was being said and help the audience know what the characters in the play were thinking. The chorus usually sang, or spoke. We honor that tradition here
Ringo Starr
“No No Song”

No no no no,
I don't smoke it no more
I'm tired of waking up on the floor
No, thank you, please,
It only makes me sneeze,
And then it makes it hard to find the door.
Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond

He’s a trickster, a conman, out to fool you and win at all costs, sparing no deception.

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
The easiest way for you to stay on top of what’s happening at Free American News is subscribe to our weekly update. Out every Friday morning, bright and early, it lists the latest post and has some exclusive extras. Please use the pop-up subscription form or click on the subscribe to newsletter box on the lower right-hand column.
Community April 25, 2018

Nah, You Can’t Get Facebooked Again

Right? Wrong!

There is a website that warns us about the 10 most dangerous roads in the world. If we have websites that warn about dangerous roads, then there should be websites that warn about the most dangerous “roads” on social media.

We are not that website, but if we were, Ancestry.com, the DNA spit people, would be on the list. Here is why:

We now know that none of our personal and private information on the internet is secure.

Our credit information has been breached, sold, leveraged. The FBI has your finger prints on their intranets. Banks have your passwords and numbers. Google knows your shopping habits. Facebook knows your friends. Your confessor knows your heart. Your shrink knows your secrets. Your doctor knows stuff he or she is not telling you.

They say you said it was okay for them to do what they do, but what did you say was okay?

It’s called bait and switch, or bait and fool, or bait and sucker. They don’t hide behind their mothers’ apron strings anymore: they hide behind a gaggle of attorneys’ apron strings. The gagglers job is to make sure that the big print promises are taketh away by the small print on page 1000 or so of the disclosure agreement. It’s your fault you can’t read. The longer the agreement, the more can go wrong. That is why when you get married you just say two words: you work on the details later.

It’s a matter of trust. Like coastal fog, trust has vanished in The Valley of Silicon.

While Facebook is on the racks where they belong, what about Ancestry.com’s 10 million users? What are they up to? When will we ever learn?

Unlike Facebook, Ancestry is spending millions of dollars advertising the promise and making the connection with ancestry seductive. But as one user complained: they charge you to tell them what you already know and then do a sloppy job doing it. And they are in cahoots with Facebook. ‘Nough said.” Now you know, at least that part.

I always knew I was part Irish. The way I drank Guinness, I figured I was 100 percent, or well on my way. Recently someone gave me a “gift” to double check everything on Ancestry.com, one of several online spit-trackers who will tell you your heritage in exchange for your saliva. Turns out I am 34 percent Irish. Good enough.

It was a thoughtless move: they—whoever they are—now know more about me through my spit than Facebook, FBI, Federal Security Administration, doctors and confessors combined. My friend paid them for my spit. Now, Ancestry.com can do what they want, how they want, when they want with my saliva. They’ll deny it, of course.

Here are some warnings. Here is what spit is. The rest will be headlines in the near future. You read it here first.

Unlike Facebook, Ancestry.com and its competitors are not free. You pay a fee and then they try to get you hooked on a service that is free through public records, but they charge you for the convenience of having collected it ahead of time. See how public records work?!

No everyone is happy with the service. I for one am done with them. Folks over at a site called ConsumerAffairs.com have customer satisfaction rates on most everything. Their reviewers give Ancestry 1.5 rating on a 5-point scale.

The Better Business Bureau has 549 customer complaints about vagueness, sloppy follow-through and lack of organizations. The overall complaint is customer service. BBB says: “Consumers should be aware that Ancestry.com/MyFamily.com uses an auto-renewal process that automatically charges the consumer for another year membership if the member does not cancel prior to the anniversary date. BBB files also indicate this business has a pattern of complaints concerning shipping/handling override coupon codes not being accepted.

Finally, the folks at TrustPilot.com (clever name) have a larger data base of reviewers, almost 4000.

One reviewer there seems to summarize the complaints by saying said: The DNA service is great, it is their genealogy service that is awful. They have nonstop tech issues, website is unresponsive and so is their customer service. Constant tech issues, records unreachable, your information disappears and then reappears the next day.

To which we add: and then who knows who will buy the company, who will buy Ancestry.com, and what will happen to your spit? There is talk about splitting up Facebook like the government did with AT&T, but short of that, acquisitions are a growth strategy.

Update #1

It is happening. In this case the outcome is good: a bad guy was caught. But the means do not justify the ends. Oh, you say. Yes, we say. What about the use of this means if there is no outcome or the outcome is unfavorable?

This is a time to be vigilant.

Update #2

Add Uber and Lyft to the list of the suspected unsuspected. Both companies report a driver who live streams his passengers. Imagine that! I’m shocked, shocked, shocked. Another example of the hidden dark-side of tech-driven companies.

Uber, like Santa Claus working 24/7, knows if you have been naughty or nice. Knows where you go and how long you stay. If you went by yourself and came home with someone or sometwo.

They caught one driver: yippie!

When will the catch the companies?

Alex Rosenblat, quoted in the link above, is a researcher at Data and Society. She has a book coming out called Uberland: How Algorithms Are Rewriting the Rules of Work. She has studied Uber for four years. She says:

“I think it’s a larger question about privacy and technology for society, what we do when the norms around a particular technology are violated. You [the company or driver] may not have violated the law, but people certainly feel violated.”

Sounds like the Facebook Defense, except here real people are being hurt. Wow!

Our Greek Chorus
Opinions of The Vigilant
Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
Community April 13, 2018

The Algorithm Ate My Facebook Page

How Facebook Chews Up the Little Guys: A True Story

Life was simpler back when all we had was our dog to blame when our homework or something went missing. Now it is a creature that we don’t understand, can’t see, don’t know how it works—a computer-driven algorithm.

I met my first algorithm—let’s call him Al— back in 2010 or thereabouts. I had a whisky life-style website at the time, an online magazine about the whisky experience, wine, women and song. (A dormant version of it is here, if you want to check it out.) We set up a Facebook page to help promote the site and back in those early days we got big numbers on Facebook, regularly clocking 250,000 likes. We were small bit advertisers, until they banned an ad with Tennessee Williams sitting at his typewriter with a cigarette in his ashtray. Then we stopped advertising for all practical purposes: it was petty censorship. Today they accept ads that sell fentanyl on the internet. At about the same time, we started to discover what everyone knows now: Facebook is more of a look medium than a read medium. But we preserved and attracted some sponsors and advertisers.

Then one day, without notice, about 60 percent of my timeline posts vanished. Gone. Zip. Nil. Zilch. Poof. Hasta leugo. They didn’t even leave a trail. They were the most popular posts on my Facebook page. (We still have a record of those posts by name and likes.)

Now what do you do? At the time Facebook had no face. Likes dope dealers and money launderers, they had a faceless store front in some rundown strip mall. You knew they were in California, but there was no phone number unless you persevered.

Before I finish the story, remember that Mark, the Zuck, has repeatedly told Congress in two days of testimony, that the user controls his or her content. He made it a point, again and again: Facebook does not control content, except when they do.

We’ve grown accustomed to folks lying, especially folks in high places: politics, business, culture, publishing, broadcasting, academia, locker rooms, pulpits, casting couches. It used to be covert: now it is overt.

I finally got through to a human voice at Facebook who asked the obvious questions and I suggested he simply look at the site and I would talk him through the problem. He did and he said he was impressed with the traffic we were generating for our size. He then said, his guess was an algorithm caused the problem. He then reported that Facebook had the same problem in the prior year when Al was on the loose. He then said they had fixed the problem–fired him. Not really, but they did their best to humanize the algorithm, much the same way the US Supreme Court said companies are people too.

Then I asked the obvious: when were they going to restore the posts? They said they couldn’t do that. Somehow they were gone. Somehow Al hid them somewhere. That’s all they said. They didn’t say they were sorry. They didn’t offer to make amends by giving me some free advertising. They didn’t offer to give me a statement I could post or show my sponsors. They simply said it was Al’s fault and there was nothing they could do.

I have not used Facebook since.

Our Greek Chorus
Opinions of The Vigilant
Okay
I hold my head up high
I keep my feet on the ground
I never hurry, never worry…
I can keep a certain tempo
That is lazy and sweet
And I don't need shoes
Cause I got alligator feet
Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
Community March 29, 2018

Dispatches from the Isle of Man

The Score on Politics and Sports

At the moment my mind is preoccupied with the melange of politics, sport, doping and the hydra that is Russia

At one extreme I am vexed by the recent alleged poisoning of a former Russian Spy and his daughter by the Russian State on British soil, apparently with the Russian President’s knowledge. At the other extreme I am concerned about the consequences for the England Football Team and its supporters of this attempted murder on British Soil when the FIFA World Cup starts on 14th June 2018.

Soccer is one of my passions, especially Arsenal Football Club, and when the England team performs well, everyone at home is happy. Sad to say in recent years that sense of joy surrounding the England soccer team has been markedly absent.

In the current war of words between Russia and the UK, some UK politicians are demanding, that the list of retributions to be enacted against Russia should include the UK Government banning the England Football Team from participating in this summer’s World Cup.

Putin’s Russia is seen as an increasingly despotic regime and the British Government certainly needs to do something to defend its Sovereignty but, demanding that the England soccer team be in the front line of a response to this heinous act of attempted murder is wrong. They expect 23 young men, who happen to be good at kicking a ball around a soccer pitch (field) to be in the front line rather than, for instance, the UK government clamping down on the Russian oligarchs, aka friends of Mr. Putin, who have laundered millions of roubles on buying property in central London as well as contributing funds to the Conservative party.

It is low hanging fruit for the UK Politicians: a cheap shot. It will not make one iota of difference to the bigger picture. Mixing sport and politics in such an ad-hoc manner never delivers a successful outcome?

History shows that threats by one or more countries to withdraw from sporting events are rarely successful. For instance, in 1980, the USA led a boycott of the Summer Olympic Games in Moscow to protest the 1979 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. In total, 65 nations refused to participate in the games. Eighty countries sent athletes to compete. Fifteen were not represented by their national flags at the opening, closing or medal ceremonies. They competed under the Olympic flag, a device most recently seen at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyongyang.

Today, Afghanistan remains a mess and although the Soviet Union did eventually retreat from that country it certainly wasn’t because of the US led boycott. The only tangible outcome of the 1980 boycott was that, four years later, in a tit-for-tat response, the Soviet Union and its friends boycotted the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

One example of a sporting boycott against a country that did work was the boycott of South Africa in a multitude of sports events over a 30-year period, starting in the 1960s and ending in the early 1990s. It is said a picture is worth a thousand words, but many more words would be needed to truly articulate the significance of seeing Nelson Mandela, the President of South Africa, walk onto the pitch at the start of the 1995 Rugby World Cup Final wearing the Springbok Jersey.

So, there is a big difference between a “one-off” boycott by one country of another in one particular sporting event in one moment in time, in comparison with a sporting boycott that lasts 30 years and has the support of a host of governments and the sporting administrations in those countries, alongside organisations such as the United Nations.

If the UK and other Governments around the world were to be as outraged as I am at the State funded doping of Russian Athletes and agreed to ban Russia from participating in all sporting competitions for the next 30 years, then we might get somewhere perhaps?

So, keep politics out of international sport gets my vote unless our Government and other like-minded countries are in it for the long run!

Where I am comfortable with mixing sport and politics is on the national stage. That, for me, seems perfectly legitimate. I remember the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico and the gesture made by Tommie Smith and John Carlos. It may have happened in a foreign land but the audience for the gesture was their own country.

Further back in time there is the dramatic example of the suffragette Emily Davison, who paid the ultimate price for her beliefs, either by design or accident.

More recently there has been the actions of a number of NFL players “taking the knee” in protest during the playing of the USA’s national anthem. It is worth noting for the record that, historically, and we are talking centuries here rather than decades, “taking the knee” was a gesture of submission, reverence and an action that was meant to show humility and adoration.

Using sport to drive change locally is easier to achieve than internationally and as Lord Coe, British Olympic Gold Medal winner in 1984 and Chair for the 2012 Olympics in London said “I have never found taking sport to challenging political environments to be an inhibitor over the long haul (author’s highlight), of social or political change.” So, let’s keep politics out of sport in the international arena but embrace it in the national environment. If we can all bend the knee to this guiding principle, then the vexation and concern I expressed at the start of this dispatch will be somewhat assuaged.

Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
Community March 11, 2018

Dead Skunk in the Middle of Our Public Dialogue

Time to Ban the Expression—“The American People”

To paraphrase singer songwriter Loudon Wainwright III, we have a dead skunk in the middle of our national public discourse, stinking, stinking up the Halls of Congress, the airwaves, our living rooms, our apps, our pews. How much longer will we tolerate this stench before we can hear—and be heard—without the smell of deception? When will we stop hiding behind the expression—The American People—to cover our laziness, waywardness, deceptions and false claims to inclusiveness.

All politicians elected to a national constitutional office, most talk show hosts, and practically all guests on those shows lie. No one calls them on how they frame their talk. Nor does anyone ask what the person what they mean when they use the expression. Un-checked, unquantified chatter—political drool—only corrodes public discourse more and more each day.

The expression—The American People—is a mask of deception. Those who use it pretend to be inclusive, but in fact they are being exclusive, and in the process, they diminish the views and values of those who disagree with them.

It is useless unless quantified.

Words in politics are like gunk from a rusted-out pan
None of this lying is deliberate: it is just a bad lazy habit that seeps out of the mouths of politicians and pundits like gunk from a rusted-out pan. Words in politics are like car oil, used for lubrication and cleaning of internal combustion engines. A quart of metaphorical oil should be added to government systems, processes, and the “regular order of business” Senator John McCain pleads for in these solitary, confining moments as he remembers why he served his country as a prisoner of war and now a prisoner of manipulated procedures. The oil, the arguments, the framing, the misrepresentation of what American voters want and don’t want, need changing to keep things moving, to get us from intractable Point A to more malleable Point B without summarily dismissing Point C.

Those three words invariably precede an announcement, proposal, position, rationale, opinion, justification for or an argument for and against a matter of broad public concern. Trained pollsters and disciplined academics usually quantify the expression with a number, usually specifying a proportion of the public (half, a third, one in ten) or percentage of “The American People” covered by their statement. Invariably this essential “clarification” is overshadowed by another person on the panel who says, “but the American People” don’t want that, offering no quantification.

The expression, The American People, implies some kind of unanimity, consensus, agreement, simpatico something or other, implied patriotism and loyalty to e plurbus unum, out of many, one, a sentimental notion of ages past. It’s lazy talk. It’s corrosive. Every time we hear the expression, with no quantification, we are shortchanged in our yearning for the whole truth, and we are left with only a bad smell.

There is a way around us being skunked every day.

The expression “The American People” should not be used. If it is used it should be quantified with words such as majority (big ones, narrow ones, slim ones), plurality, most, many, a specific percentage of (active, passive, young, old) Americans, or a percentage of those who agree with the presenter (about 30 percent, more than 60 percent, etc.) That is all that is required.

When Speaker of the House Paul Ryan says “the American people,” he means not all Americans or all elected Members of the House: he only talks for a temporary majority of Republicans elected to the House of Representatives that changes every two years. While he boldly proclaims his position on issues as representing the desires of The American People, he fully knows that a majority of Americans hold a different, often opposite opinion on a wide range of issues, such as background checks for gun purchases, pre-existing health conditions, minimum wage, immigration, and taxes.

members of Congress make up what they believe to support what they do
We know members of Congress make up what they believe to support what they do.They should be open about their sources, not pompous in their pronouncements.

On cable news there is no clearer example of this skunk-stink than Chuck Todd’s interview with Ohio Republican Congressman Jim Jordan (9/26/17). In a routine 10-minute segment of MTP Daily on MSNBC, Todd used the expression “The American People” several times, while Jordan used it at least a dozen times. Todd’s took it in stride as part of the networks day-old spaghetti effort to “present both sides” of a story that equally employ the cover words. That needs fixing. Todd should be asking what Jordon means when he says, “The American People.” And he should push for clarification. He could be the leader on this essential reform.

Jordon is on safe ground when he speaks only for a strong majority of those who voted for him in his congressional district. He is part of the stink when he claims to include the 30 percent who voted against him. If he simply said, the majority or a strong majority of voters in my district want this, then he is good to go, but not with a deception and overreach where he voids what the minority says in his district and superimposes his views. Hold your nose!

It requires no training, just discipline. Not new technology, just clarification of claims, no revised guidelines, just a heads-up to guests before show time. One major network or one major cable news group needs to announce that going forward, they will no longer use the expression “The American People” without quantification, and any guest on their show will be asked to specify what they mean when they use the expression. That’s it.

Our Greek Chorus
Opinions of The Vigilant
He shoulda looked left
And he shoulda looked right
Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
Community February 2, 2018

NBC News Monkeying Around With Us

Knowing the difference between a pole and a poll is easy. Knowing the difference between a survey and a poll is hard, but important.

You can survey your neighborhood or the block where you live, but there are not enough people there to enable you to do a poll, a valid poll that is. And that is the problem with too many polls. Sampling is the key to a reliable poll. Bad sample, bad results.

Here is a good overview for the challenges of polling in today’s environment, especially when 16 percent of voters don’t have internet and most voters have mobile phones. Getting the right sample for a national poll, around 1200 people, requires contacting at least three or four times that number. It’s a complicated business, and amazingly reliable when done right.

For a poll to be reliable—and communicated properly—it needs to establish its margin of error, usually plus or minus 3 to 4 percent, and determine its confidence level. Stuff above my pay grade, but this may help.

Before the 2016 election, MSNBC’s Chuck Todd regularly released surveys they did with a contract or collaborator known as Survey Monkey and call them Polls. It was shortly after Chuck Todd was the Chief Political Reporter of NBC where he did a great job getting down into the weeds of polling and finding the interesting stuff above the low-hanging fruit where most other networks stopped. Then the Monkeys showed up.

They are who they are: an online survey company for all sorts of applications from customer satisfaction surveys to marketing studies. I used them years ago when I did a survey with The Wharton School among their students. That is how they have a data base of over 3 million people—former customers and users. Nothing scientific here, just a collection of folks who have used Survey Monkey over the years.

When you use Survey Monkey for general purposes, as NBC does, a sample is taken of this narrowly drawn customer base: it should not be confused with a national random survey that most polling firms rely on. In effect you are asking a bunch of cyclists what they think of seat belts—they are both transportation questions, but the sampling base is not very useful to your seatbelt inquiry. Interesting, but not relevant. They are not a polling firm like the established Gallop Poll or reliable Pew Research Center.

But MSNBC and its parent NBC don’t mind confusing the two and leave you guessing.

Well over a year ago, MSNBC started inviting viewers to critique the kind of job they were doing. My complaint, I am sure I was not alone, was they were running surveys but calling them polls–letting you figure it out. I never expected to hear from Chuck, but one night when he was giving feedback on what viewers were saying. Chuck said, “Some of you are upset at us for not making a distinction between surveys and polls. Get over it.” I don’t exactly remember the first part, but I’ll never forget the last part: “Get over it.”

Then all was quiet until recently. Zoo unattended, budgets tight, the Survey Monkeys are back, and hopping around. And NBC is back to calling surveys polls.

If you think this is nothing more than distinction without a difference, consider this. Polls are usually closed ended questions conducted by polling firms, companies that specialize in taking polls. Surveys have open-ended questions and are usually conducted by universities, academic organizations and research firms. If that is not a big enough difference for you and you end up saying this post is meaningless, then we have arrived at a point–sooner than I thought–where words have no meaning.

If you are still hanging in there on this one, check out the difference between Survey Monkey and NBC on the question of who is to blame for the recent shutdown of government, and the results of a more reputable, albeit generally considered “conservative favoring” polling firm associated with Quinnipiac University.

We doubt the Greek Chorus for this post, by A Tribe Called Quest, will be in any Monkey Survey or Gallop Poll. That is precisely why the editorial board chose them.

Bottom line: be vigilant, check the sampling error range and stay within 3 percent plus or minus, keep the monkeys in the zoo.

Our Greek Chorus
Opinions of The Vigilant
A Tribe Called West
'We The People'

We don't believe you
'cause we the people
Are still here in the rear,
ayo, we don't need you
Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
Community January 25, 2018

The Pavlov Press

News hounds, barking dogs salivate for the next tweet to be tossed their broken news bowls. Then they add a little network water and feed it to us on TV, in print, for your app and after your nap.

Russian physiologist Ivan Petrovich Pavlov is famous for his discovery that dogs salivate on the basis of conditioning and will salivate even when only the stimulus is there and there is no real dog food. Much like today’s cable news shows, we the viewers, salivate when Rachael, Shawn, Chuck, Tucker, Wolf and the Rev come on. It’s a dog’s life watching the news.

What Pavlov said over 100 years ago is true today. His challenge for the babbling Pavlov press and we, the Pavlov viewers remains: Don’t become a mere recorder of facts, but try to penetrate the mystery of their origin.

You know as well as I do that we can feed on this stuff all day long. Same stuff, just different bowls. It matters not if you are sitting at home, riding the subway, finishing a project in the garage, doing the laundry, sitting on the beach. Dogs, unlike cats, can’t get enough food. They will eat everything you put in front of them. (Cats are particular and eat intermittently, when the mood suits them.) But dogs are good for ratings.

This will be a recurring theme FreeAmericanNews: lazy electronic press, waving Broken News banners for the same story all day long, the same content all day long, with the same colors and the same conclusions. At least the print news doesn’t play with Broken News banners.

For starters you think the electronic media could develop a color code for their news: yellow for slow down and look both ways, green for everything is looking good, blue for the sky is falling, and red for head to Canada. But no. Best news invention: the off button and ESPN.

Our Greek Chorus
Opinions of The Vigilant
Here is what Big Mama Thorton has to say. She was the first to sing the song.
Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
Community January 25, 2018

How To Spot Political Partisans

It starts with a simple question and goes down river from there.

This one is fun, worth a laugh or two. God knows there is not much of that in politics these days.

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, “Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don’t know where I am.”

The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, “You’re in a hot air balloon, approximately 30 feet above ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude.

“She rolled her eyes and said, “You must be an Obama Democrat.”

“I am,” replied the man. “How did you know?”

“Well,” answered the balloonist, “everything you told me is technically correct. But I have no idea what to do with your information, and I’m still lost. Frankly, you’ve not been much help to me.”

The man smiled and responded, “You must be a Republican.”

“I am,” replied the balloonist. “How did you know?”

“Well,” said the man, “you don’t know where you are or where you are going. You’ve risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You’re in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow, now it’s my fault.”

Remember—you can change the names and the affiliations to suit you.

Updated Posts

What’s the Stink About?

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond

by Josh Hammond
Our Newsletter
Category
Community
Next post »